Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Jesus' Return in 1988

I meant to have a really good internet observation of the 20th anniversary of Jesus' return in 1988, as predicted by Edgar Whisenant.

I remembered it was September 1988 but didn't have the dates clearly in mind after all this time. Now I look at Wikipedia and the dates were between Sept. 11 and Sept. 13.

I do remember this part, that he had a book (two books combined), 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Could Be in 1988 and On Borrowed Time. I am virtually 100% sure that there was an edition of the book that didn't have the word "Could" in the title but a more definite word, which I think was "Will." What other options could there be that would be definite?

They have a quote by Whisenant that I also remember, at least a variation of it: "Only if the Bible is in error am I wrong; and I say that to every preacher in town."

Interesting quote

I went to one of his meetings in 1988. And I have tapes of several of his radio shows that were broadcast on KAAY radio from Little Rock, Arkansas. My collection is a hodge podge and I don't have them catalogued well. The shows were repeated from time to time, so what dates they were presented is unknown to me. He wrote another book after the Lord's coming didn't happen in '88, predicting it for '89, basing this revised theory on the fact that he felt he was mistaken in having considered the year 0 an actual year, or something like that. In other words he was off by a year, making '89 the true year. This book had a title something like "The Midnight Call" or "Midnight Cry," just going by memory.

His co-host on the show was named Greg Brewer. So ... 20 years have passed. And Jesus still hasn't come. Wikipedia says Edgar died in 2001.