Thursday, June 10, 2010

Car Surgery And Death

I had to get my car worked on a couple weeks ago. Tire problem. I didn't know I had a tire problem. I went in for an oil change. Then I asked them to give me my first of a "lifetime" of free tire rotations. It was then that a problem was discerned with one of the tires, having a "broken belt."

We were there for seemingly an interminable amount of time. Very --- not fun.

I was looking at the car back there, getting fixed by a mechanic in slow motion. It reminded me of people in the hospital.

The waiting room we were in was like the waiting room at the hospital, like in surgery. The doctor comes out every hour or so to tell you the progress he's making.

Finally, if things go badly, you're back in the room -- a hospice room now -- and they're telling you about the comfort measures. You just want to keep Dad comfortable, and the same of course with the car.

Wet his lips, put some salve on its grill every couple hours.