Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Snake

My dog and I saw a snake today when we went for a walk at the park. This is the first time I've ever seen a snake there. It's a "freak out" moment when you look down and see one.

It happened like this. The dog was a little ways ahead of me and I saw her jump funny, and I immediately thought that might indicate a snake. But when I got there there wasn't a snake. So I thought she must have been freaked out by something that she wasn't expecting, like if she hit a stick with her back leg or something.

And then we walked on another 10 feet and 15 seconds later, the dog jumped again real funny and I looked down and jumped too! There was a snake. It was wriggling, but then came to a stop and was just looking up. I was able to snap the picture.

I'm thinking that the first time she jumped that there must have been a snake that time, too, going into a hole, which would explain why I didn't see it.

That is such a weird thing to see, freaking out both man and dog. Something very primal going on there.