Friday, April 30, 2010

1970 Rolled In

I keep seeing all the 40th anniversary commemorations of stuff from 1970, including Kent State coming up.

I'm old enough that I remember seeing 1970 roll in at midnight on New Year's Eve, preceded directly by 1969 rolling over the hills and out of sight.

Yes, I remember just where I was when I saw this spectacle. I was in the dining room of my parents' home, which at that time was also my home. Back then we had a garage just to the south of where I stood, which has since been replaced by a newer and nicer garage.


As I stood there, I remember distinctly seeing the '70s rolling in from the East, making a very pretty sight. The number '70 sounded very "mod" at the time, although the '60s set the standard for the "mod," which was then enhanced (it seemed) by the more up to date and "mod" '70, the 7 in that number. I've always liked new beginnings...

Anyway, as I saw the '70s rolling in from the East, I also glanced over at the West and saw the '60s rolling that directly, virtually at light speed or maybe a little slower. It was definitely slow enough that I could see it clearly.

And of course nothing has been the same since, with the '70s no longer sounding "mod," but sounding like something from a long time ago. It's the same thing we'll be saying someday about now. Those who remain alive will say it about now. I might also say it in the future, from whatever point in the future that I'm able to live to.