Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reflections On Tearing A Couch Apart

One, I didn't want to tear the couch apart. I definitely believe in the idea of passing it on to someone else who would get some good out of the thing. But in the time frame allowed, with it being offered to the public for FREE, no one took it. And I can't dilly dally around with a heavy couch in my room forever. I'm moving and it needed to go.

Now, watch, though, I'll get a call about it tomorrow and I'll have to say it's "gone," even though it's still in my car, but in a hundred pieces.

All along the way in the tearing apart process, I kept thinking I was going to be injured. There truly are lots of nails and staples holding a couch together, as well as springs. They build them to stay together, meaning you have to do a lot of prying and bending, and, in this case, whacking with an ax.

The part where I really thought I would get injured was the whacking the longer slats in half so they'd fit well in my car. I leaned them up against something and came down in the center with the ax. Some of them flew a bit. Then I had one more slat and I thought This will be the one I get injured on, but thankfully I didn't. It whacked in half and that was it.

It's a nasty process. But the alternative is that I needed a truck and then I show up at the recycling place with an entire intact couch. I didn't know what they'd think of that. So being completely taken apart will probably be better.