Friday, May 21, 2010

Government Doesn't Believe You

Celebrate with me my one-week anniversary of getting my new driver's license. It was last Friday, and by now common this time of day, it was already accomplished.

I'm making a point of saying it because it wasn't that easy to do. I didn't have to take a driving test or a written test, so of course I'm thankful for that.

But they do require you to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are who you say you are. Because, I guess, we don't want a lot of people driving cars who may be someone else.

Anyway, I was just by the turn that goes to the driver's license place and I got to thinking about it. We have "government by the people" with the odd twist being that the government doesn't believe that the people are who they say they are. Another way to look at it is, we have government by the people but we the people have decided that we don't trust one another to say their proper name.

Anyway you look at it, it's unnecessarily complicated.