Friday, July 4, 2008

1960s Psychedelic Hippie Culture and Music

There's some nice things at 1960s Psychedelic Hippie Culture and Music, album reviews, articles, and so forth.

Now that the '60s has basically slipped into faded memory mode, we can put some of our disagreements behind us and enjoy the music. Myself -- a right-winger if ever there was one, obviously preferring the records of The Spokesmen, Sgt. Barry Sadler, and Victor Lundberg -- have learned to like these other artists of the era, druggies and slackers. Just kidding.

The blog has a track by track rundown of Revolver. It gives some basic trivia, mostly familiar to Beatles' fans although I hadn't heard that bit about Paul doing "Good Morning Sunshine" inspired by the Lovin' Spoonful. There's a lengthy post on Electric Ladyland, which I didn't read. I love the album, of course. I remember reading a guy's "desert island" picks one time, which I believe was in Discoveries, and Ladyland was, I believe, his top pick. It's quality, plus, if you're going to be on a desert island you naturally want longer albums!

There's lots of albums! Lots of possibilities for this guy's blog. Check it out. I know I will be.

(Concerning Barry Sadler, his track "Ballad of the Green Berets" actually was pretty great. Number 1! It's corny, but still good. The only track by Victor Lundberg I have is his "Letter to My Teenage Son," which has to be one of the worst things ever recorded. It's corny in another way. The Spokesmen's "Dawn of Correction," I have never actually heard (unless I've heard it on the radio unknown to me or have completely forgotten it), although I've had the 45 and just got a nice copy of the LP a couple days ago. I still haven't gotten around to it. "Eve of Destruction" has good meaning, in my opinion, and I'm still reluctant to listen to these "me too" guys. They seem to me like musical Freepers, even though I read the other day there's some connection to Danny and the Juniors, songwriters, whatever. I've gotta go!)