Monday, July 28, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Very good, sweet, funny, nice movie. I loved it, loved it a lot.

We have a lot of imagination when it comes to songs, don't we? I'm not too sure this has been true for all generations, or even recent generations, you know, the '30s and '40s. Songs were identified with the events of life, but I'm not too sure they were so closely intertwined as the soundtrack of people's lives.

This one does exactly what we all do with songs, which is identify with them so closely that sometimes we're married to songs and sometimes divorced. You hear a song at a funeral and it ruins it for you. Or there's some social awkwardness involving music, let's say, and suddenly certain artists have to be shelved for a few years. The sadness of life as well as the happiness, and where we were at the time, is tied in with albums, CDs, and singles.

I've had some warm fuzzies for some of Abba's songs over the years. I still have my original 45 of "Mamma Mia," which song I loved from the start. I wasn't much of an album fan, but that would be just because, no good reason. I'm sure I would love every album by them.

I saw the film tonight and to me it was great. It does with the songs just that very thing, uses them as a vehicle for the story. There are other musicals of course but this is a solid piece with one source of music. Very nice.

At first when the daughter busts out in song, it seems disorienting. But you quickly love it and think that's the way life should be. Everyone singing, running, frolicking, jumping off docks, just generally going nuts.