Friday, June 20, 2008

Free Quarters

I haven't been to Quiznos very much, two times in my whole life. So I don't know the way it is there exactly all the time yet. But I was there last night and I was surprised by something by the cash register.

You know how there's a little cup up there, various places, pretty often, and it has pennies in it? Well, this is the first time I've seen quarters in the cup. A few pennies, a nickel, and three quarters. I'm thinking various things about that. Who are these generous people who just toss their change in the cup? How much money seriously can you withdraw from the cup? If there's enough in the cup can I pay for an entire Flat Sammie out of it? What is the cup/change code of honor in all round terms? Should I check my pockets for change before concluding I need to go to the cup?

If we have another couple years' inflation, can we expect to see dollar bills in the cup? Fives? Tens?

If someone takes too much might they not have to put the cup over on the shelf? And eventually have a robber come in and say, "Just gimme the penny cup, and be quick about it!"