Monday, June 16, 2008

Sorely Tested

I had the pleasant experience of standing in line today. Not long lines, just being behind others who took longer than usual. Twice in a row. And in each case, once I got to check out myself I was able to proceed through quickly as normal.

This is something I try to be philosophical about. I've got this thing I keep thinking of, which is a variant of "Enjoy your depression." But apply it more broadly to all pain, suffering, inconvenience, etc. It's tough, but if you're mindful about it it allows you to have a pleasant look on your face, an attitude of patience. My only qualm about is that it might just be a variation of "Serenity Now," which, as we all know, means Insanity Later.

So there I am, la la la...at the thrift store as someone checks out with a few clothes items. This is one of the more complicated things to check out with, as prices vary, and no one is quite sure they want everything they've selected. It might be in the sack, then out of the sack as minds change. Plus, for some unknown reason, each item needs to be carefully folded by the check out person and lovingly put into the sack. Hangers removed, all that. Then slow chit-chat, then going for the money. And finally that person is through and I'm able to proceed through.

Next I'm at the video store to get a couple things. And I'm directly behind another person, whose situation is a little more complicated than mine. First, the check out person is on the phone with someone who must have a DVD out, has late fees, and it's gone to the collection agency. That is about over with as I'm getting to the check out. But the woman ahead of me, with a couple of sons, is wondering about her Super Saver Membership that she purchased a while back. It turns out it's expired, bringing up a debate about whether she should get another one for this year. She hems and haws about that for a while. Then it's time to check out her DVD. After she's done, one of the sons also needs to check out something. But he's not on the membership files for the store. So we need to get him entered into the computer and spell out the terms for him. And while you're at it, put my other son on the membership file too, so he can rent movies or games. "But he won't be able to charge things to me, will he?" No, but he'll be able to rent things as he pleases, and late fees may accrue, but he will have to pay for the things he rents at the time. Such a deliberate process!

Now they're gone, and finally it's my turn. Which is a normal transaction. Whip right through, a few seconds.

I'm busy thinking all this time about the whole philosophy I mentioned above. It's sorely tested but still intact as I pleasantly leave.