Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Robins

We've got some robins just outside the bedroom window. Somehow without anyone noticing they were able to build a nest just outside the window. We noticed them after there were already four eggs.

I just saw the eggs maybe three days ago, or even two days ago. And yesterday there were two eggs hatched out and today a third. The little baby robins are moving around, almost featherless except for a few little tufts. When the mother and father robins are away they occasionally stretch up and open their mouths very wide. (We don't know which one is the mother and which is the father, but we assume the one spending the most time sitting on them is the mother. But yesterday, in the little bit of time I've been watching them, two adult robins were there tending to things.)

The mother is away for a short while, then comes back and gives them something to eat. She sits on them and gets comfortable for a while. I looked out today and she had her eyes closed, like she was in meditation. I think she noticed me, even though I'm trying to be very slow and deliberate in my movements.

And one other thing, the day before yesterday was a very windy day. Fortunately the nest didn't blow away. There's really no room for error on that little ledge, so we hope they've got it snugged down good and tight.