Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Unknown Kurt Weill


I got this CD today and just listened to it, dividing my attention between listening to it and goofing around with the computer. Blogger was having some troubles, so I was back and forth between the help group (not much help in this case), retrying, doing other things, and listening.

It consists of vocals by Teresa Stratas, with a boisterous piano accompaniment. (Usually when I write about CDs, music, movies, books, in short, everything except my own daily activities, I show my ignorance. I admire people who seem to know what they're talking about on these things. But my admiration is tempered by the constant suspicion that they're faking it....) It sounds very theatrical, for which there probably is a verrrrry good reason. That's a heck of a picture on the cover, eh? The way it works with all this stuff, though, is they go for the edgiest picture they can find of whoever, Elvis or Beethoven. This one has that great post-modern appeal.

The compositions on this CD range in date from 1925 to 1944. Most of them are in German. A couple appear to be in French, just going by the titles (I have a hard time distinguishing the words as they're sung.) And thankfully a couple are in English, so let's concentrate on them: Buddy On The Nightshift from 1942 with a co-writer's credit for Oscar Hammerstein II, and Schickelgruber also from 1942 with a co-writer's credit for Howard Dietz.

"Buddy" - Playful tune, pleasant, a buddy working on the assembly line. They work on the opposite shifts, one takes the place of the other and the other goes home to sleep. "Schickelgruber" - A Hitler song, humorous lyrics. Hitler was born a child of sin and has "always been a bastard," even though he changed his name. Great song.

These are the "unknown" songs -- which... hmm, do you know his more well-known songs? Yes, you probably do, so congratulations!

This is a pleasant cultural excursion, the CD. It's not likely going to be one of my all-time favorites. But I can see this kind of music in those times when you just want to escape the everyday grind. Put on something in some language you have no idea what they're saying and let it distract you. But for a time like that it would help if it were a little more mournful. Over and out!