Thursday, June 25, 2009

Don't Forget Ed

I've been thinking about Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson ... but I don't want to forget Ed ... Ed McMahon.

What can I say about Ed McMahon? Basically I used to watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and Ed was always there, an able partner to Johnny. No one who ever watched it can forget his big old laugh, like everything Johnny said was hilarious (and it usually was.)

Humor was slightly different back then, with lots of drinking jokes, and I think some insult humor, like against Doc Severinsen, with his flashy clothes. Ed was the victim of the drinking jokes, which he always took with great humor.

Probably the most famous recurring sketch was the Great Carnak routine, and Ed was great on this. He had some room to stretch on this routine.

I know he's been in bad health lately, some weird things about him in the news. But now he's passed on, so whatever problems he had are over.