Thursday, June 18, 2009

Flies And PETA

I feel like posting this in the "You Gotta Be Kidding Me" file, but I actually knew something like this would happen. Or let me rephrase that, I was kidding around saying someone would object to President Obama killing a fly. But I was thinking it would be the Republicans, coming out for more flies and better conditions for them.

It didn't occur to me that PETA's compassion extends to flies. It makes me wonder if they take antibiotics for bacterial infections, since, after all, bacteria are living creatures as well. Why not just die so bacteria aren't disturbed?

But as it turns out:
PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.
I do believe in trapping various bugs and releasing them outside, whether they want to go or not. And flies even ... not exactly trapping them for release. But if they fly out when the door or window's open, so much the better. Not that I feel anything for them especially, but it saves me the nuisance of them being around and the inconvenience of wasting time tracking them to kill them.

I was just taking the garbage out yesterday and at least one fly went out when I held the door open. I shut it quickly lest he change his mind. But look at it from his point of view -- which he should've thought of before being inside my house -- there's more garbage and roadkill outside than there is in people's houses. Certainly more roadkill, if your house is anything like mine.

But when push comes to shove, I will not only kill a fly, I will try to do it with "The Force" from Star Wars, meaning it's in some sense divinely directed that they die. I swatted at one yesterday without benefit of "The Force" and of course I missed.

We have regular Secret Service guys there for the president to wrestle to the ground anyone who tries to get the president. We also need really really small ones to be on the lookout for flies, birds, and anything small that poses a danger to his safety. I would even support a bug zapper zone around the president, just because we don't want him endangered or nagged by these little nuisances.