Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A New Record Player

I have a new record player coming, to be delivered sometime this week.

This is a different kind of record player. I don't know if you can hook it up to an amplifier and simply listen to it, but I'm assuming you can. I took one look at it online and knew I wanted one (needed one?)

It has a USB slot where you plug in a memory thing -- are they called a memory stick? -- and you put the needle on the record, push a button, and it records the track or album directly there. No need for a computer, and apparently no need to adjust the volume, etc.

My current record player is getting old. I haven't changed the needle (cartridge, whatever it's called, stylus) since I got it used over 10 years ago. But I haven't been playing it non stop either. But I think it needs changed, only I'm no good about knowing precisely what to replace it with.

My current record layer seems to have a terrible problem with skipping. I've been playing records most of my life and I don't remember records skipping so darned often, so I think it might be something wrong with it and not the records.

I've recently been experimenting, and actually doing some recording of tracks on to an MP3 recorder. But there's no good way of adjusting the volume. So it's been hit or miss. Then with the record player skipping about every fourth track, it's disappointing to get 90% of the way through a song and have it go directly to the end without passing Go and without collecting $200. I'm tearing out the last sprigs of hair I've got.

When I get this new one, I'll be curious if these same records will skip. And I have one or two in mind, to see how they do. I'm thinking they'll be OK.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it getting here. I plan to post how well I like it. And I'll put the name of the system at that time, because I really don't remember what it's called, and don't want to take the time right now to look it up.