Sunday, June 14, 2009

Field And Stream

I should've been reading Field and Stream magazine all these years.

I picked one up at the exercise club and was reading it while working out on the elliptical. One, I don't usually do this, but I found it helped me to pass the time without constantly looking at the ticking LED clock. It feels like such a waste of time just up there going back and forth. Anything to take away the mental strain.

So I saw a Field and Stream magazine and picked it up. It had a big dangling worm on the cover, nice.

Being an old fisherman -- at least as a kid -- I'm still mildly interested in the subject. But I don't have any fancy poles and I don't go to big resort lakes a thousand miles away to fish and all that. I really don't fish at all, but I would, say someone asked me to go with them. Getting outfitted takes some work.

Camping is the same way. It's fun, but you have to work like a dog getting ready to go camping.

There's some good articles in this magazine, including one on catching your own bait. I could've written that article, since we did that all the time when I was a kid. My dad actually owned a bait shop, but most of the bait he sold we caught by hand, either in the yard or in the park, somewhere like that.

I could go out fishing without any bait and did so many many times. We'd find something to use. A grasshopper or we'd dig worms up on the riverbank. Any old thing though. Plus we did a lot of seining in those days, mostly catching crawdads and minnows. I remember we used all sorts of things, though, like leeches and crickets, and also bait that you could make like cinnamon rolls, but not cooked completely like ones you eat. Let's see, what else? Chicken livers.

So that was an interesting article to see!