Monday, July 20, 2009

Barry Manilow Live On Broadway

I got a double LP today of Barry Manilow live on Broadway. That's the title but it was recorded in Chicago, so I guess they have a Broadway there too.

There's a Barry fan in the family. I like him OK, have seen him in concert, I wish him well ... he's just never been my favorite. He knows his stuff about music though, no one can deny that.

Anyway, I have this double LP and I'm trying to make MP3s out of it. It looks to be in perfect condition, but I'm getting this with LPs these days. That there's an occasional skip or serious pop. And I'm going way out of my way to get the things cleaned up. I'm even feeling them like a blind person reading braille trying to find this stuff before I start recording.

Already I've had to go in and do some pop fixing, automatically and manually, to clean up a couple spots. A mint record isn't necessarily so! There's too many places for vinyl gremlins to hide. It seems like it's an epidemic. I don't remember this problem 40 years ago, so I don't know what's changed. Maybe the dirt is just more deeply ingrained.

I made one big boo boo. I was recording side 2, I thought, but then when I got to the end it appeared that I didn't hit the record button. This has happened a few times, so I don't know ... I need to make sure it's going. That meant going through side 2 a whole second time, which I left to itself and took the dog to the park. There were no skips the first time through so I figured it could make it OK the second time.

The last side is a medley of Barry's hits, and it's the longest side. A huge medley, like the biggest medley you've ever heard.