Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Herman's Hermits - 1


This will give me something to do. I haven't got much time tonight. I need to mow the yard and do some other unpleasant chores.

But I have a few minutes.

I got this Herman's Hermits CD set, 4 CDs spanning their career from 1964-1972. It's subtitled "The Mickie Most Years." It comes from Europe, so the albums referenced in the (scanty) notes are their UK releases. The American versions are mentioned a few times.

In the U.S. we know their records from the MGM label. But it's been difficult, without going out of your way, let's say, to find their LPs. It really doesn't look like there were very many. I know the MGM albums, about every other one is a greatest hits package, I, II, III. Like that.

Anyway, I always thought I'd like to have everything by Herman's Hermits and not just the hits that I've heard a million times. Some of these other tracks I've heard once or twice and most not at all. I listened to the B side of most of my 45s, of which I only have about 10-12 by Herman's Hermits. Some of them are surprisingly good and some are so-so.

I've had some of the albums before. I know I have a copy of the "Blaze" LP around here somewhere, and in top condition, but searching for it has yielded nothing. I used to have the "Two Sides of Herman's Hermits" LP. And I know we used to have, ages ago, the first greatest hits album, that had such great hits on it as "Mother-in-Law" and "Sea Cruise." You don't remember those as big hits? I don't either, but I always liked the "Mother-in-Law" song, a version of Ernie K. Doe's big hit.

In this series, which may or may not ever actually be accomplished, I'm going to listen to these CDs (on my iPod) track by track and say whatever about them.

OK ... CD 1, Track 1 (one small step for a Herman's Hermits fan, one giant leap for all mankind.)

1) Heartbeat - The Buddy Holly song. Peter Noone, sometimes to be referred to as Herman or abbreviated as P.N., has a good voice for doing Buddy Holly. This seems slightly slower than Buddy's version, just going by memory. It says in the notes that H.H. were a Buddy Holly tribute band (sort of) before becoming H.H. Straightforward version of the song, same guitar bits. Nothing really varied about it. The charming voice of P.N. Kind of a boring track since it's just a one to one cover.

2) Travelin' Light - This is one of the B sides I have on my MGM 45s, which one I don't remember. Slow loping song. Like a country song. When I was listening to the 45 the other day I thought this was a boring song. I like it tonight. He's going to see his baby. He's a hoop and a holler from paradise, traveling light, I guess so he can get to his baby more efficiently. Nice country sound.

3) I'll Never Dance Again - Slow song and mournful guitar. Someone else is holding her, so he will never dance again. Very sad. The song mentions "the dance hall," as she's dancing with some other guy. The feel of this song reminds me of "The End of the World," especially the mournful guitar bits. There's a talking break. P.N. does a good job of it, although I don't like talking bits, except for one song, "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" by Elvis. This H.H. song is too sad.

4) Walkin' With My Angel - I've heard this one before. But maybe not by H.H. (I looked it up. Bobby Vee did it.) The track has a flaw or maybe it's just my iPod. The sound goes from one side to the other in the space of about 2 seconds and sounds bad. Like someone hit the balance button. I like the song except for that flawed bit. That will bug me everytime I hear it. What's the problem?

[Here is the 2 or 3 second piece from the right channel only. See if this sounds normal to you.]


Walkin With My Angel - Hermans Hermits

5) Dream On - This is another of the B sides from my 45s. Such a beautiful song. I love this one. (On the 45 it has the title "I Gotta Dream On.") Very sweet sound. I don't know if this was a hit. It should've been. It sounds like a great '60s A side to me.

6) I Wonder - I'm having a hard time with this song. It sound generic. He was left blue and his heart is filled with pain, counting the lonely hours passing slowly by. This one I don't like so far.

OK, that's it. I have to go mow the yard. Hate to leave with a song I didn't care for. But maybe it will grow on me.