Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Beatles - Take 2, OK...

I re-ripped all my Beatles CDs at 256 kbps. Now that the new boxed sets are about to come out, I'm thinking about putting any ripped CDs (not just Beatles ones) in boxes and stacking them in the closet or somewhere.

They take up a lot of shelf space if I already have them on my hard drives, but I of course want to hang on to them until they eventually cart me off to the nursing home.

I've always noticed this particular problem with CDs, but it was really pronounced on one of my Beatles CDs. They have those little slots at the top where the dust can get in. There was quite a bit of dust in one, and some in all. They get messy just setting on the shelf. So they'd be better off in boxes.

I didn't actually have every CD ripped already, like EPs and incidental stuff and a few of the other albums, but now I do. It took a while. The computer works slowly. Plus everything has to be labeled, tagged in particular ways. You get the labeling information from freedb and it's extremely helpful, but there's no standard way of doing it. So you have to edit practically everything for your own preferences. Then find album art ... and it's a hassle.