Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Dalliance With Sports

I famously said to someone the other day -- in reply to the question "What's your favorite sport?" -- that I hate all sports.

Hate might be too strong a word. I can't get into it that much might be better. It has its good side.

Sports might be more interesting if there weren't so many games. Like if we had 10 games the entire year, then it'd be something that wasn't constant. When something's on all the time, what do you really care?

But that's not the solution. Because they'd be sneaking more games on than 10 and next thing you'd know we'd be back to what we have now.

But I don't begrudge people their sports. Just leave me out of it. I don't want to get swept up in the whole thing.

I was at the exercise place today and they had on a soccer game from England. What an extremely dull game soccer is. It's hard to believe the people over there like it so much that they kill each other over it. I cannot get interested in that crummy game.

Now, about my dalliance with sports. I watched part of a game last night, football. And I watched part of one today. It was great. I even went and took about an hour nap and came back and they were still going at it. I never saw the end.

The game today was Clemson vs. South Carolina. It's amazing how much knowledge the announcers have about everything to do with it, including games they had 10 years ago, trivia about them. I'm thinking, Wow, these guys make big bucks and their whole life is nothing but sports. What a waste.