Monday, November 30, 2009

Moisture Stains Never Forget

I'm reading a hardback book that is over 100 years old.

It was once owned by Verna Stecher, who wrote her name inside on the front flyleaf with the date 1906. So, a shout out to Verna up in Heaven! I'm taking good care of your book! It's an enjoyable one. I'm wondering if you liked it. "The Soul of Lilith," by Marie Corelli.

It looks, though, like Verna must've had an accident with a cup of coffee or a puddle of something else. Because there's some moisture stains around most of the pages, the edges of the cover. There's also some of the loss of pliability that comes from the pages having been touched by moisture, some stiffening.

In 1906 I might've tossed the book, since it would've been wet and messy. But of course in 100+ years it has plenty of time to dry, unless it gets moldy and persists in its misery. This one doesn't have any mold -- dead or alive. And the smell is just the smell of an old book. I was hoping it'd smell like 100 year old coffee.

In 2009 I'm looking at the moisture stains and I don't really mind them. It gives it character. I'm thinking of a woman 100 years ago spilling coffee on her book, I'm reading the same book, Verna is dead and in Heaven, and it's all very charming.