Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Big Bopper

Big Bopper was one of the guys who died in that plane crash 50 years ago today, along with Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, and the pilot, Roger Peterson.

I don't seem to have any Big Bopper records -- mp3's anyway. There is a possibility, not a very good one, that I have a record somewhere that has his song -- HOLD THAT, I just thought of one, the American Graffiti album, which I have the CD of. So I'll put it on.

Yeah, there it is! A phone ringing, the Big Bopper speaking, then we hear his side of the conversation. It's cool. I'm listening to it. Two minutes I wasn't sure I had this song. I was listening to the 30 second clip at Amazon and debating whether to waste 99 cents on it. I didn't. Now I'm glad.

I can get it going with this kind of music. Boogying. I think it times at 2:21, which it did at Amazon. But it's still not in my nature to want to pay for downloads of songs. I like actual records and CDs, something that will still be around when this computer is in the dump, like two years from now. I presently make copies of everything, but that's also not very tangible. You're at the mercy of this stuff.

Well, that was good. That happened to be one of the songs that Wolfman Jack doesn't talk over. Thank goodness.

So this guy died 50 years ago. A few years ago I saw his nephew (or some relative like that) carrying on the family name. He was up on stage, singing the same songs.