Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Viva Italia

Whatever happened to the movie, "Viva Italia"? I never hear of it, in fact I've never heard anyone mention it.

But at allmovie.com they still have a reference to it:
This Italian black comedy is comprised of nine short stories all related to the theme that most men are selfish cads. At the 1978 Oscars, the film was nominated for Best Foreign film.
So it's not just my imagination that it existed. Since it was a 1978 film, that must have been the year I went to it. I was at the theater and I think I was the only person there. It was a cold, nasty day. They had the downstairs closed to help with heat, it seems, and so I sat in the balcony.

The kid of the ticket lady came up and told me it was about to start. I really enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it. It was episodic, just like the allmovie paragraph says, little vignettes. My biggest memory was the use of the song "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen, when someone blows up a plane, I believe it was, that his lover was on. So if that is meant to illustrate that men are "selfish cads," I guess it succeeds.

Another movie I'd like to see, but never hear of, yet I think is actually available, is "The Norman Conquests." Saw it on TV once and it was very funny. Never saw it again.