Saturday, February 7, 2009

Singled Minded Cat

When I went out to the car, passing through the kitchen, the cat thought it might be time to eat. So he comes out to see, or maybe he was already there. Then when I get home, 15 minutes later, he thinks maybe it's time to eat, checking with me.

I get up in the morning and stir. I need to go downstairs and the cat comes wandering out -- immediately -- thinking it's time to eat. No, I say, it's a little early. I go back upstairs for an hour or an hour and a few minutes. Then I go down. This time it is time for the cat to eat, and he appears without any calling.

That cat is always monitoring the dish. Always hungry it seems. He has a single minded focus on one thing, when the next meal is. Of course he always has the dry food setting there, and he is pretty good about eating it. But he likes that extra can of meat.

I don't remember my cat always being this way. It seems to me now that he's old he is a lot more demanding about food. Let's eat, let's eat, let's eat!