Monday, February 23, 2009

Love Your iGoogle Homepage?

At my iGoogle page they have a line that says, "Love your iGoogle homepage? Share a story." I'm wondering what kind of story they're looking for.

My story would have to be a happy one, about how my iGoogle homepage changed my life. I used to have nothing but the normal Google search page. White space and one search box. I felt so bored, like there was nothing to live for. Oh, sure, on holidays they'd brighten it up a bit with a customized logo. Maybe a cuddly bunny on Easter, the two O's in Google being its big bright eyes. But then the holiday would be over and I was right back in the stew. Woe was me.

Then it happened. I clicked the link that said I could have my very own Google page, designed in the exact way I would want, within normal limits of course. It would still offer incredible internet vistas for me to discover, apart from Google's page itself. But I wanted more, much more. And my iGoogle page gave that to me. Since I've had my iGoogle homepage, I'm a happier person. I take care of my personal needs. I eat regular meals. I peek around my dark curtains to see if it's day or night. But really, everything I need is right here. I can look at the various Google gadgets, whatever you call them, and tell what time it is, I can see museum artwork, I can see five of my Gmail message headlines, the headlines from the New York Times, the Bible verse of the day, everything I might ever want.

These days I'm constantly sated, fat and full. My life is full of relish and whim. And I owe it all to my iGoogle homepage, without which I seriously don't believe I would still be here.