Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Treasures Tonight

I went to one of the local thrift stores and got my treasures. I'm always interested in picking up decent CDs and records.

I got one tonight, a CD, that I didn't know existed. I've never seen it around, but of course looking it up on the internet I notice there's numerous copies.

That's one by Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins, from 1986, called "Class of '55." The reviewers at Amazon don't seem overly excited about it but I'm guessing it's a good enough relic. Of course, no doubt, they've all done better work. That was one of the remarks made. But that really would likely go without saying. This is a reunion of sorts, and I suppose there was some casualness about it. I haven't heard it, but it's not hard to guess what it's going to sound like.

My copy is a bit scuffed up. I was surprised about that, because you figure the guy who had this CD would have been a guy who would normally keep his CDs in nice condition. Because he would likely be a collector sort of guy. Just reading his fortune without actually knowing him.

My other treasure -- if that's what you would call it -- was a cassette single by The Cranberries of "Linger." I don't buy many cassettes, virtually none, but I like some of these by people who were once my favorites. It's like buying a 45 with picture sleeve, which I obviously would do, but it's a cassette. I have a few things like this on my shelf, a few by Roxette are the ones I had up there, and now this one by Cranberries.

Here's a site with a great scan of the box.