Monday, February 16, 2009

Francis and Mr. Ed

I found myself involved today in probably the stupidest argument I've ever had in my life.

It had to do with whether Francis the Talking Mule was ever in a movie together with Mr. Ed. I dismissed the idea out of hand, saying that Francis was from the '40s and Mr. Ed was from the '60s. She rightly pointed out that the character of Francis could very easily have been played by a different mule in the '60s. But I dismissed it simply as something that didn't happen. And that was my downfall.

At that point it became an argument based less on the merits than on the contention that I "always have to be right." I'm saying no such thing is the case and "look it up." It's easy enough to find out by looking on the internet.

Quite frankly, I don't know everything about every movie, but I don't remember Mr. Ed being in any movies PERIOD, just the TV show. Therefore I felt sure that the two stars -- the mule and the horse -- were never paired.

It went on like that for another minute and she left ... mad.