Friday, August 14, 2009

My Cellphone's Very Good Week

One week ago today my cellphone dropped into a toilet.

With that one little dunking, my morning and a couple hundred bucks were shot. I tried to dry it out. But it's easier for the water to get in than it is for you to get it out.

I tried a stupid plan I read about on the internet, which is to soak it in rubbing alcohol, then that's supposed to somehow evaporate and the water with it. It sounded reasonable but was completely worthless. The weird thing about the plan at that website is that if it doesn't work the first time to keep trying it. Right. I tried it once and it was worthless.

So I had to go get a different phone. And my contract isn't nearly done, so this meant buying a new one at full price.

The good news now is that I've gone a whole week without the new phone falling in. I'm trying to be extra, extra careful.

P.S. - As for phone technology, the phone I got is a newer model of the old one. But they've taken a couple steps back. The old one had a video function, the new one doesn't. The old one told you how many characters you'd typed (helpful for Twitter) but the new one doesn't.

And of course they felt the need to change the plug so my old phone's USB cable doesn't work on this one. I guess we know why, sell more cables.