Sunday, August 23, 2009

West Side Story

I'm watching "West Side Story" on a VHS tape I got some month ago.

I know it must sound absurd to say I've never seen this, but it's true. How many hundreds of times have I seen the old soundtrack LP over the years. But I never really had any idea what it was all about. Seriously. I'm very out of touch at times.

Whether I've ever owned it, like in a box of records, doesn't mean anything. I definitely never listened to it.

Now, I'm only up to the part where the Puerto Ricans have sung "America," so I don't know if anything else will be familiar. I have heard the song "Maria" or snippets of it, and I could have identified where it came from, and I have heard the song "America" or snippets of it, but I could not have identified it.

So far I'm really liking it. The opening, though, with the weird looking gangs, that was disconcerting. They looked like space aliens to me. Or cult members.

I don't know how much more there is to go ... but it's enjoyable and I hope it stays that way.