Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Sheriff Wrestles Me To The Ground...

...in my mind, that is, in my imagination. I thought of it.

I was at the grocery store and a guy from the sheriff's department came in. I was in the checkout line, looking harmless, since I am.

And here comes a sheriff or deputy across the way, toward me, but more toward the space between me and everyone else. On his way past us.

He had a walkie-talkie in his hand and was looking down the aisles. Then he went down one of them and that was the last I saw of him.

When I got to the car I was thinking, Let's say I were the perp, I would want to look as inconspicuous and harmless as I must've looked standing there in line. Like Ho hum, is this line ever going to move? But I could've never managed it if I'd been guilty of something.

Then he would've wrestled me to the ground, I would've reached over to the freezer case and whacked him with a pack of Little Sizzlers. Then he would've cuffed me and that would've been it.

I'm fascinated by law enforcement. It's weird though when it's right there in plain sight, in the grocery store.