Sunday, September 27, 2009

Card-Carrying ACLU Member

It's a good thing to say you're a card-carrying member of the ACLU, right? I know it's not a good thing to some people, hotheads, or those who don't know what's going on.

Speaking of hotheads, we have all these protesters now, the right wing variety, who are probably against the ACLU. But if anyone ought to be for it, it's anyone who protests occasionally. Since, believe it or or not, the ACLU would be there with bells on if anyone ever infringed on their rights.

I'm not really card-carrying. Although I have a card. It doesn't do me any good, that I can think of, to have a card in my wallet. It doesn't pay for anything. There aren't any meetings at which I need to flash it for admittance. I already know I'm a member and don't need to check my wallet to verify it for myself.

The card, over neck to the actual card that you need to detach, says, "Carry your Membership Card with pride throughout the year ahead." To which I will exercise my right of free speech to ask, "Yeah? What for?" Am I more proud because I have a card in my wallet?

I'm glad to be a member of an organization that I think does do positive work in helping to keep our rights protected.

One thing about them I don't like, the annoying calls for more money beyond what you originally paid. But they no doubt need more money. Don't we all? I know I do.