Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Red Sovine Autographed Record

Hey, I got part of my Red Sovine wish. One day we were heading into a thrift store and I honestly said I wished I could find some Red Sovine records. But I didn't find any.

Then just the other day, Saturday, I was at a garage sale and bought a box of 45s, approximately 10 inches worth, just records in a box without sleeves (mostly). I made a mad dash through them later and stuck paper towels between them to minimize any damage. I picked a few out and just left the others in the box to examine later.

Today I was picking out a few and this was one of them. Red Sovine - "Giddyup Go" and "Kiss and the Keys," Starday 737.

The strangest thing to realize was that it was actually signed by Red Sovine. So I checked on the internet for a couple examples of Red Sovine autographs and they more or less matched this one. Real close. Which was a cool thing.

I've only listened to it once, each side. "Giddyup Go" is the strange story of a truck driver, whose kid names his dad's truck "Giddyup Go." But one time the dad comes home and the mom and kid aren't there anymore. He must not be too curious about what happened to them, because he's back on the road. Then years later he sees another truck that says "Giddyup Go" on the back of it. And it turns out to be his son as a truck driver. (I think that's what happens. I heard it once.)

If I'm the kid I might say, "Dad, all this time between the time I was a kid and a truck driver, couldn't you have been at least curious enough to look for me?" Twerp.

The other side, "Kiss and the Keys," is peppy and singing. ("Giddyup" is kind of a narration thing, like Red Sovine did with "Teddy Bear.") I can't remember much about "Kiss" except it ends up with a woman jailer falling for a prisoner, who seeks a "Kiss and the Keys."

I'm happy to have this record.