Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Get Your Groovy Self On Home

I'm watching the Elvis Presley movie "Speedway," bit by bit everyday until I get done. This morning I had the part that includes Nancy Sinatra's song "Your Groovy Self."

This is a cool sounding song, and the kids at the Speedway Hangout seemed to enjoy her performance. I always enjoy it too. I keep thinking, That's Frank Sinatra's daughter hanging out with Elvis Presley. Cool.

She had a rich and great recording career, maybe she still does. I'd love to have all her albums. I have a couple is all, I guess. The "Boots" LP and the "Nancy and Lee" album via a download from Amazon.

Then there's this track from "Speedway." At the Hangout, the guy in charge -- an old hip comedian kind of guy, who's hip to the music of today's youth -- shines a headlight on a random member of the crowd and they have to do something. The first time we saw it happen, it landed on Elvis. He did "Let Yourself Go." Then the next time it was Nancy. So we really lucked out, because if it had been truly random, we might spend the whole movie with bad karaoke performances waiting to get to the main stars.

If you don't know the song, "Your Groovy Self," do yourself a favor. Get it, love it, and live by it. Meaning, "Get your groovy self on home ... to me."