Monday, February 1, 2010

What Elvis Should've Said

I'm watching "Girls, Girls, Girls," starring Elvis Presley.

When I'm watching shows, movies like this, I can't believe the bad choices the characters make. You'd like to say, "Hey, stupid, wake up."

One scene has Elvis going to a nightclub to tell the manager that he wants to get some more hours singing, because he needs money because he wants to buy a boat that he and his father made.

The manager agrees and offers Elvis a more permanent singing gig, then insists that Elvis sing right now, then when he agrees to that it stretches out apparently for some length of time. Because all this time, Elvis was supposed to be over on a date, a get together with his love interest, Laurel.

He's singing and seems to be enjoying himself. But he's checking his watch, like he knows he's late.

I'm thinking, You told the guy "No," so stick to it. You have a date, simply tell him you're a responsible person and you need to keep the engagement you have. That you came in to check on the job, that you're not prepared right now anyway. Really, don't musicians need some kind of rehearsal or don't they at least need to talk it over with the band what song they're going to sing? On the movie, they just launch into something and it all goes perfectly. It's crazy.

At least in "Fun in Acapulco" when he did a performance it was just one song, then he was off. Each time, one song and out. Here in "Girls, Girls, Girls" he has to go on at length, missing a very important date.

Not me. I would've said, "I have a date with Laurel. I will keep our date." I will be in to sing tomorrow at this time, assuming I didn't have a prior commitment.

That's what Elvis should've said.