Thursday, February 11, 2010

When In Doubt, Write About Elvis

OK, like I said a couple days ago, I'm watching "Speedway." I'm still not done with this Elvis Presley movie, since I only watch 15 to 20 minutes a day.

The whole scene where Elvis is in Mr. Hepworth's anteroom ... I didn't care for it when I first saw it. But this time I watched it in more detail and it's pretty charming, all the work those guys did to film that number.

One part I fairly well hate is Elvis' pursuing of Nancy Sinatra through the hallways, in the elevator, and dragging her into Bert Mustin's closed restaurant. They don't seem like they have that great of chemistry anyway, face it.

As for Bill Bixby's character, he's a crumb. Elvis could do better in the friend department.

There's plenty of good moments in the film. Including, yes, seeing Bert Mustin standing there!