Saturday, January 24, 2009

Coffee

I drank a whole pot of coffee this morning. That's extremely rare for me. Lately I've been drinking one cup from the pot, then no more. I put it in a carafe and forget about it, is what usually happens. Or I don't want the extra trouble of going to the bathroom all day and so I purposely avoid it, especially after noon.

But this day, lazing around, the whole thing. Which is two and a half big cups.

I have a Bodum (I think it's called) French press coffee pot. (I hope the word "French" isn't bad, now that we are finally rid of that rubbish called George W. Bush. But just to be on the safe side, let me call it a Bodum Freedom press coffee pot.)

Anyway, the Freedom press method of making coffee is to put the coffee in the pot, then mix water in with it, and after it's swirled around for four minutes, to press down a filter, leaving the grounds at the bottom. It is the richest, darkest, most potent coffee I've ever had. And it's spoiled me about regular coffee, to the point that I can barely drink it.

But what to do with all the grounds. At least with a regular coffee pot you've got the grounds in a filter and can more neatly toss it in the trash. With loose grounds I don't know what to do with them, so I've been flinging them outside. But I hope it doesn't pollute the earth too much.

By the way, I'm grinding the coffee right before making it. Eight O'Clock Coffee, so it's powerful stuff, nothing missing. I would go on in my description, but it's time to go to the bathroom again.