Sunday, January 11, 2009

They Got The Beat

Today's "Deal of the Day" (MP3) at Amazon is The Go-Go's "Beauty and the Beat."

I was slow getting to the Go-Go's when they became popular right at the first, but I wasn't too far behind. I was buying their albums after they'd solidly hit the charts. In my family we were interested in seeing them whenever they were on TV, or for their videos on MTV, etc. We used to record some of the videos back then, when they were on all the time, but having things on video tape was never such a big joy. How to find it again was a problem.

I remember a pretty good show about them, the one that was introducing "Talk Show," which was a later album. They seemed cool. I don't like hearing of their problems, drugs, all that. It really isn't that hard to avoid such things. Just do it.

The album sounds just like it always did, of course, catchy tunes, very simple and ebullient, but not at all innocent. It's a big mistake to always think we were so "innocent" once upon a time just because the time has passed.

By the way, the media to actually listen to the Go-Go's on would be cassette, since cassettes were hugely popular right at that time thanks to the Walkman. I think I still have it on LP.