Saturday, January 31, 2009

Health Insurance Place Wasting Their Time

My health insurance company has some kind of asinine program, in which they call me periodically to tell me that if I ever have any health questions I can call them and they'll let me speak to a nurse.

Come on, if I'm not feeling well, it's never going to occur to me to call my health insurance company to ask them what I ought to do about it. Since they make their money by me not using my health insurance, what's the chances of the nurse giving me good advice? "My leg is hanging by a thread of skin! What should I do?" "Uhh, sir, we find that bandages do a world of good, and we will send you a three day supply for the low co-pay of $65." "Thank you, helpful nurse."

If they're simply trying to provide me information, it's also a waste of time and money. Because I already have a doctor. I can look at WebMD or a thousand other websites a lot faster than I can call some nurse -- they didn't even give me the number -- and then have to explain who I am, all my other information, and eventually get some kind of runaround.

They called me one other time. They knew it was me because they asked for me. Then when they explained the program they said I needed to give them certain numbers to prove that it was me! That's how eager they actually are to serve. Because I, the guy who answered the phone at my house, might be some other guy, eager to get information on health issues for the first guy, and it's all quite confidential, whatever questions he or I might have! That, my friends, is a runaround.