Saturday, January 3, 2009

Desert Island Discs

Whenever I listen to Electric Ladyland (Jimi Hendrix), I think of a time I was at a bookstore and was reading through a record collectors magazine. They had a feature called 'Desert Island Discs,' a title like that. And one of the guys said Electric Ladyland would be his number one pick.

It seems like a good choice to me, if worse came to worse and you were on an actual desert island with a limited number of albums. Which I hope doesn't happen. Because, really, listening to it over and over for however long I were to live wouldn't be that great.

Anyway, how am I to have electricity out there? I don't know anything about generating electricity. Or batteries. Even if you had a whole hut full of brand new batteries they don't last forever. You'd go to the hut for another set eight, ten years later and they'd be all corroded or otherwise non functional.