Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tonight Is So Right For Love

All my years of being an Elvis fan, I did not know that the song "Tonight Is So Right For Love," from G.I. Blues, was based on a Johann Strauss II song. Oh no, I didn't even know there was a Johann Strauss the Second. I'm not a classical music expert by any means, which is the category I'm guessing he fits in. Guessing.

But the song is called "G’schichten aus dem Wienerwald." I don't know what that translates too either.

One day I was scraping ice off the sidewalk and I heard a local church's bell/chimes system playing this song, the exact tune of an Elvis song. So I thought I'd look it up -- since I know they used to make religious songs out of popular songs, they could do the opposite too. But I forgot every time I was near a computer.

Then today, there it was again, and it turns out to be this Strauss piece. Looking it up, this also explains why there's a song on the album (CD) that has a similar title, "Tonight's All Right For Love."