Thursday, January 22, 2009

Exercise

I went to my workout club tonight. They've been selling more memberships, that's obvious, because I'm continually seeing people there for the first time. Mostly no one I know. I figure, January, New Year's resolutions, that's going to happen every year. But the place is getting busy.

There was one other day I went there and all the main workout machines, the running machines, were busy. Then last night it happened again, so I sat and looked at a newspaper. I'm not in any big hurry. It only took a few minutes and someone vacated one.

Tonight there was an instructor there, a fitness guru, leading his students in their paces. And it looked especially strenuous, a lot of running, fast. They were sweating like crazy, but looking very fit. I was going at it on my own, but nothing quite the same pace. It did make me sweat though.

I like to get in a mile in eight minutes, then whatever else on top of that is gravy. But I guess I was taking it easy. I was getting close to the eight minutes, in the sixes somewhere, and I realized I probably wouldn't make it. I was listening to the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire and just loping along. In the sixes I decided to press it and figured I could do the eight minute mile afterall, but then I just missed it, and accomplished the mile at around 8:03.