Monday, March 16, 2009

Burger King

I ate at Burger King the other day for the first time in a very long time.

It's a weird thing to suddenly find yourself at Burger King when you don't actually go there. I'm sitting there thinking about how unpredictable it would have been. No one would expect to see me there. If I didn't have my phone with me I would have been completely unreachable.

I discovered while there that Burger King was established in 1954. That's a long time ago. I wonder what Burger King was like in 1954. Was it like a local diner? A guy selling burgers out of the back of a van? They probably have the history of it over on their website. But look at them now! A big corporate thing with restaurants everywhere you look.

I notice also that they must have hired some humorous advertising, design people, because I saw a few jokes around. Or playful stuff. Like the french fries packet is called a "Frypod." Even the garbage can has a humorous invitation to get your trash in here anyway you can. And on a card at the table they played on their slogan to "Have it your own way," by saying you could let your drink overflow in the glass, although "We'd rather you didn't." (Words to that effect).

It wasn't bad. The guy messed up my order, but you expect that everywhere you go. I couldn't have been clearer. I said a Whopper Jr. meal, an extra Whopper Jr. sandwich, and a Whopper Jr. meal for the person with me. So what's that add up to -- let's see, 1, 2, 3 Whopper Jr. sandwiches with two of them having all the extras (fries and drink) that go with a meal. Naturally he shorted me a sandwich. But we got it after telling them about it, so that was nice.