Saturday, March 21, 2009

Charles Manson And The Three Stooges

According to "The Three Stooges Scrapbook," the Stooges went from a Metro contract to a Columbia contract 75 years ago a couple days ago, March 19, 1934. 75 years doesn't sound like a long time to me in relation to the Stooges, since they seem quite ancient. I love them and have all my life, all the parts I remember. But only 75 years since they got their Columbia contract? Guess so.

The book says they didn't have the name "Three Stooges" till June of '34. So we're not even 75 years on that one yet. I've been watching the episodes from the last volume (#5) that has Curly. He left the team, I believe it was 1946.

An unrelated anniversary coming up -- and a story at CNN that I was just reading -- concerns Charles Manson. Creepy. It was 40 years ago, but in August, so we have a ways to go, when he and the others committed their crimes. He's still in prison and they released a new picture of him. He's 74 years old now.

So put that with the Three Stooges information. Charles Manson was in diapers when the Stooges were doing their earliest Columbia films. Wikipedia says he was born Nov. 12, 1934. So back up nine months and Manson's parents were conceiving Charles in February 1934 just as the Three Stooges were in that transitional period with Ted Healy, and a month before the shooting schedule for "Woman Haters."