Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rare Superman Comic

I love to hear about old comic books selling for high prices. It just goes to show our old teachers that comics were valuable and their textbooks were worthless! You know what you can get textbooks for? Go to old book sales and they'll let you carry them out free if you're willing to help them get rid of them. But comics. Well, there's plenty of cheap ones, I guess.

The comic book in question this time is the first "Action" issue, which featured Superman's first appearance. He's holding a car up in the air, leading me to remember a great joke from childhood. "My father is the strongest man in the world." "Why?" "He's a policeman and can hold up a car with one hand." Ha ha.

The original owner, that is, the most recent owner of this comic before it's last sale, got it for 35 cents in a secondhand store in the '50s. Which leads me to wonder why it was so much back then? A secondhand store in the '50s selling old comics for 35 cents? You'd almost think it'd be a nickel or a dime. Still, why quibble? Give the guy 35 cents. It recently sold for over $300,000.

The most valuable comic I ever happened to own was #10 of Spiderman, which at the time listed for something around $70. So I couldn't retire on that.

When I was a kid we had stacks of comics, but they weren't cared for. Instead they were read to death, over and over.