Monday, December 21, 2009

The First Day Of Winter

Today is the first day of Winter. Boo, hiss!

I knew it was about now, so I looked it up, and, yes, it started today. I could step outside -- I was just outside -- and it definitely feels like Winter.

It's hard to believe Fall is over with already. It doesn't seem that long ago that I took my dog out -- it was the first day of Fall -- and we went romping up by a river somewhere. I took a bunch of pictures and it was a lovely day.

Now, just a few months later, already, it's Winter and I'm not going out to take pictures. Although today would've been a nice one to do it, since the trees were all white with sparkles. It was pretty. But I was way too busy to worry about taking pictures.

I went and got some extra groceries, because you never know what might happen. And I went and bought some gas for the snow blower, because I don't want to be at the mercy of the snow removal guys like I was last time. If I'm snowed in, I at least want a decent path to the road. Last time I had to shovel some of it out. Bad thing to do!

It's all pretty -- when Winter happens -- but it's deadly and unpleasant. There's one interesting and nice thing, and that's when you're walking after a fresh snow. Everything is so quiet and hushed.