Monday, December 7, 2009

Walking My Dog In The Snow

It's hard to believe we used to have dogs who lived outdoors. In the winter and everything. Except we brought them in if it was bitterly cold, and they stayed in the basement. That was over 40 years ago.

Now we have an inside dog, and I have to take her out, and she gets cold when it's around 20 degrees. She starts moving her feet like they're uncomfortable, and I suppose they are. Well, do your business and we can get in faster.

The last few years I've been carrying her quite a bit of the time. Then we find a spot and I set her down. Still, she doesn't exactly hurry to get it out. She still takes her time sometimes, meaning she's going to get cold.

But I love my dog. I want to keep her as comfortable as possible. So I usually carry her home afterward.

I've tried dog booties. They don't work with my dog. One pair we had was too little. One pair was too stiff. We tried baby socks with Velcro fasteners, but it takes too long to get them on, then they tend to fall off in the snow and it's a mess.

I need to take her out for a quickie before getting ready for bed. I'd love to be in bed in a half hour.