Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gauging Happiness In A Few Quick Sounds

I have family members who call me. I always want them to be happy, but sometimes they're not. Something's got them down.

I just had a call, and in this case ... she was happy! Yea! That makes my night, because, often, it's those sad ones that also get me down. Then I'm laying in bed hoping for the best. Even though "This too shall pass," we still have the journey from Point A to Point B that is painful.

So when I get one of these family calls, the first thing I must do is quickly gauge whether we're happy or sad.

The lilt in the voice is always a good sign. A despondent "Hello" followed by a tense pause is bad. Cheerfulness about accomplishments ... always good. Pessimism and apathy, self doubt and hopelessness ... not as much. Looking forward to seeing me, love you, goodbye; these are things I like. Anger and hanging up without saying goodbye; these are detestable. I've heard it all!

I answer every call. The good, bad, and indifferent. But I very much prefer the good.