Thursday, December 31, 2009

Phillips 66 -- For Your Own Protection

How's this for service?

I filled up at Phillips 66 and charged it on my credit card. Fine and dandy. Like always.

Then later on I wasn't yet half a tank down but went to a Phillips 66 station, because I was about to venture across the frozen tundra of Iowa, and they always say you should have a full tank of gas in case you go in the ditch and need to stay warm. At the station, the credit card was rejected. The cashier said it was "for your own protection," because I was a "frequent user."

So we tried to pay cash, then the pumps wouldn't work.

We went to the next Phillips 66 station and the card was still rejected. But this time the nice attendant used it inside (anyway), and we were able to get on our way.

That's a crazy policy. People are on the interstate, traveling from one state to another. Of course they're going to need gas more frequently than if they're in their hometown buying it once a week.

Phillips 66 has been in the gas business a long time. They ought to figure out that people do travel, and that in the winter (especially) you want to keep a good supply in the tank.

I was not happy.