Saturday, May 23, 2009

30 Days

For some unknown reason I'm thinking of the old Chuck Berry song, "30 Days." I haven't heard it for a number of years. I have a Chuck CD but it's not a good one. Now that I think of it I might have more than one. I'll go check...be back...

Nope, I just have that one crummy CD. It's a "Best of" that is from Japan, and an old budget CD from the '80s. It doesn't tell you it's either re-recordings or concert versions of his songs. So you can tell it's a loser.

I see it does have the song "Thirty Days," spelled out like that.

Here's what I remember of the lyrics: "I'm gonna give you 30 days to get back home." Bringing up the question, Why so generous with the timeframe there of 30 days? I would hate to wait around for 30 days for someone to get back home. I suppose if they're an astronaut or Arctic explorer, Shackleberry or Shackleford, that's only fair.

Then here's another snippet: "I'm gonna send out a worldwide hoodoo, that'll be the only thing that'll suit you, I'm gonna see that you be back home in 30 days." So, there's a worldwide hoodoo involved, meaning that maybe the 30 days is necessary. She might be in Tibet, studying at the feet of whoever's left over there. Or in the Andes, buying mints. Or floating on the Amazon, looking for rare books. Or in Australia trying to find out what the Australian word for "Beehh" is.

A hoodoo, I'm taking that for a ruckus or a call that is bound to be heard, talked about and effective. It will "suit you," maybe meaning she needs quite the persistent persuasion to get back home in 30 days.