Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rechargeable Batteries

I've discovered something that the battery companies have no doubt been trying to cover up for years, rechargeable batteries.

I've been doing a project in the last month and a half -- digitizing old papers, class notes, ephemera -- then shredding the originals. I was buying regular batteries for my camera, which was costing a fortune as it ripped through them at lightning speed.

Then I saw these things called rechargeable batteries, and I thought, Ahh, you gotta be kidding me. We used to put batteries in the refrigerator to recharge them, but, being a myth, it didn't really do any good. They were too cold. So I got a battery operated battery warmer, but I was wasting so many batteries warming up the cold ones that became a vicious circle.

Anyway, I bought a couple sets of four of these rechargeable batteries. And so far, so good. They actually work. I feel that I've been saving money. Actually, I haven't photo'ed any documents since 5/12 or 5/13, so I'm saving all kinds of money, not buying new batteries and also not wearing down my rechargeables or wasting money on electricity to recharge them.